Birdwatching in Olhão
Are you ready to go birdwatching in Olhão?
Discover the diversity of the permanent and migratory birds of the Natural Park of Ria Formosa and of the Atlantic Ocean of eastern Algarve. On this boat trip, the skipper is a biologist and he will be your guide. He’s happy to teach you about the species you’ll find. We provide binoculars and brochures with information about the birds. Let’s go birdwatching in Olhão!
The Natural Park of Ria Formosacovers an area of 14.000 hectares protected by a complex web of sand barriers and dunes that extents for 60 kilometers along the coast and host in a regular basis more than 20,000 waterbirds especially during winter time. We do birdwatching in Olhão all year round.
Some of the most interesting species that we often observe during our birdwatching in Olhão are the black-necked grebe (podiceps nigricollis), the spoonbill (platalea leucorodia), oystercatcher (haematopus ostralegus), flamingo (phoenicopterus roseus), bar-tailed godwit (limosa lapponica), Mediterranean gull (larus melanocephalus), cormorant (phalacrocorax carbo), little egret (egretta garzetta), grey heron (ardea cinerea), white stork (ciconia ciconia), among others.
Ria Formosa is a crucial spot for migrant birds from or to Africa. During the birdwatching in Olhão we may encounter more than 200 species of birds in one unique day. Particularly rich in wader species and passerines, Ria Formosa is a great place to see rare and localized species that cannot be found anywhere else in Portugal, like Purple Swamp-hen and Little Bittern.
This trip, from departure to arrival, including the bird observation, takes about two hours.
- Two-hour excursion with birdwatching in Olhão the get to know the diversity of the birds in the Natural Reserve of Ria Formosa;
- The Natural Reserve hosts in a regular basis more than 20,000 water birds especially during winter time;
- The skipper is a biologist and he will be your guide. We also provide binoculars and brochures with information about the birds;
- See rare and localized species that cannot be found anywhere else in Portugal;
- Binoculars and brochures with information about the birds included;
- Ideal choice for families with kids that are interested in nature;
- Access exclusive areas far from the busy touristic areas.
- Departure time depends on the sea conditions, you'll be contacted about the exact hour;
- Bring sunscreen, swimming gear and a towel;
- Safety briefing, on board commentary by specialist and life-jackets included;
- Food and drinks are not included, feel free to bring your own;
- Please check-in 20 minutes before departure;
- Detailed operator information, including local telephone numbers and addresses, are included in your confirmation email.
Book now 2h 25