Are you ready for a full-day in São Miguel: Whale Watching & Lagoa do Fogo?
Are you on holidays in the Azores
together with your friends and family and looking for a real outdoors adventure? Join us for this unforgettable full-day experience. We'll take you whale watching and on a trip to the must-see Lagoa do Fogo Volcano. Discover the unique landscapes of the island!
On this full-day experience, you'll get a 360º feeling of the Azores
: enjoy delicious local food and magnificent views, learn about volcanoes, and take a dip at Caldeira Velha hot springs or Salto do Cabrito cold waterfall.
At the Marina of Vila Franca do Campo, you will be greeted by your experienced crew in the morning to start this awesome adventure. Let’s go on board of the RIB boat, a very fast and stable boat, that will take you safely to explore the Atlantic Ocean. The crew will give you a short briefing about what to expect and also learn some interesting facts about the local whales and dolphins before we head out to sea.
The first activity will be the 3-hour whale and dolphin watching in the Azores. Together with experienced marine biologists you will go on a search for wild whales and dolphins in their natural habitat. There is nothing more magical than seeing these special creatures enjoying their freedom and playing in the water.
Are you looking for a tour operator that respects the ocean and its magical creatures? Here you are! This local tour operator is certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) – the world’s largest marine conservation partnership, assessing animal welfare, conservation, and sustainability standards. The vessels used for the tours are small expeditionary rigid inflatable boats with most consumption and noise efficient engines available – improving proximity to the whales with minimal environmental impact. Want to know more about ocean conservation? Join this tour!
After all this fun, we will return to the Marina to recharge the batteries. You are invited for a delicious lunch at a local restaurant, with a great view over the Marina. Once everybody has happy bellies and is ready to keep going, we will take you by van to the Natural Reserve of Lagoa do Fogo.
The Volcano crater of Lagoa do Fogo is an impressive crater surrounded by a unique landscape. On the way there, we will also pass by Pico da Barrosa and the Bela Vista viewpoint, where you can take some amazing photos of the region. From here you have the best views over the island and the beautiful turquoise waters of the crater lake.
On the way back to Vila Franca do Campo we will also pass by the environmental centre of Caldeira Velha to learn some interesting facts about the volcanic region. You also have some free time to take a bath in one of the hot springs, visit the waterfall or walk around the historical centre of Ribeira Grande.
This full-day experience in São Miguel is a perfect day out for families and group of friends who love nature and are interested in the local environment! This tour only takes place from October to June.
Summary of this full-day experience:
- 8:30 Dolphins and whales boat tour from Vila Franca do Campo.
- 11:30 Return to the Marina for a local food lunch at a seafront village restaurant
- 13:15 Van tour up the Volcano crater and protected Natural Reserve of Lagoa do Fogo, stopping at Pico da Barrosa, Lagoa do Fogo, and Bela Vista viewpoints
- 15:00 Caldeira Velha’s environmental centre and opportunity for a thermal bath in Caldeira Velha
- 17:15 Head back to the Marina for check-out.
- This boat tour is a good choice for families and groups of friends who are passionate about the ocean, nature and adventure;
- Enjoy the view over the amazing coastline from a unique perspective;
- Extremely high chance of spotting wild dolphins with the experienced crew;
- This experience will give you access to exclusive areas far from the busy touristic areas;
- A safety briefing by a multilingual guide, insurance and life-jackets are included;
- A local captain will give you onboard commentary about the sights;
- A delicious lunch is included;
- We recommend bringing sunscreen and comfortable clothes;
- This tour is not suitable for pregnant women or people with back/neck problems;
- The minimum age is 4 years old;
- Please check-in 20 minutes before the start of the experience;
- Detailed tour operator information, including local phone number and exact address, is included in your confirmation email.