Experience the Canary Islands
The Canary Islands, which are also known informally as the Canaries, is an island group in the Atlantic Ocean, situated west from Morocco. The seven main islands are Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro.
It’s not just the sunshine
all year round that makes holidays to the Canary Islands so popular. The beaches, climate and important natural attractions
make it a major tourist destination with over 12 million visitors per year. Especially Tenerife
, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura
are very popular.
There’s no better way to discover the islands than on one of the boat tours on the Canary Islands! There are many types of boat tours, like fishing, dolphin watching and even whale watching! If you go on a boat tour on the Canary Islands you have the seemingly infinite space of the Atlantic Ocean to discover!
Also, numerous watersports on the Canary Islands are available like coasteering, surfing, stand-up paddle. Or go for a long walk in sand dunes and taste some local seafood. Outdoor-lovers and active people will have the best time here!
The best of the Canary Islands
Depending on your interests, a holiday in the Canaries can mean anything. From a trip with the whole family in Fuerteventura to partying with friends in Gran Canaria. Or it might be that experiencing Tenerife's Carnival or touring Lanzarote’s wild landscape gets your vote. If you're really in the mood to go off the beaten track, the smaller isles of La Palma and La Gomera are full of character, too.
- Tenerife - might be the best Canary Island for nightlife. The capital Santa Cruz has the biggest Carnival celebration after Rio De Janeiro!
- Gran Canaria - is the best Canary island for hiking. This diverse island has stunning beaches, massive sand dunes and mountains covered in pine forests. If you would like to explore the coast, then coasteering might be a good idea!
- Lanzarote - is the best Canary island for families. There's plenty to do for families like for example a trip to Ranchos Texas Park, Lanzarote's biggest theme park. Or what do you think of a catamaran boat trip to discover Lobos Island?
- Fuerteventura - is the best Canary island for beaches. Every July, on the south coast of Fuerteventura, watersports fans go to to Playa de Sotavento which becomes a playground for kitesurfing, wind sailing and diving.
- La Gomera - is the best Canary Island for authenticity. Visitors often hear loud whistling which echoes around the ravines. Believe it or not, but this is actually a type of native language called “el silbo”. The villagers invented this language to communicate with each other over the hills. Incredibly, it can sometimes be heard up to seven kilometres away!
- La Palma - is the best Canary Island for whale and dolphin watching in their natural habitat. The wild island of La Palma feels like one big nature reserve, and it is rightly famous for its wildlife. The coast around La Palma is the home or point of passage for more than a third of the world’s whale and dolphin species.
Three fun facts about the Canary Islands
- Some may think that the name “Canary” derives from the cute little bird, but that’s not true! The name comes from the Latin word for dog, “canaria”. When some of the first Europeans arrived on the island Gran Canaria, they found seals that used to inhabit the island, which the Romans called “sea dogs”.
- We already know that the Canary Islands are a Spanish archipelago. But did you know that the highest point of Spain can be found in Tenerife? The volcano “El Teide” is 3718 meters high.
- Due to the unique landscape and stunning beauty of the Canary Islands, they have been a filming location for many movies over the years. Some of the films shot on location in the Canary Islands include Fast & Furious 6, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Clash of the Titans.
Whatever you decide to do during your holidays to the Canary Islands, we promise you will love each island! Sunshine and a lot of fun are guaranteed! For any further tips or requests, feel free to contact us anytime.